Tuesday 16 July 2013

Welsh Poets and others . . .



I am very grateful to Ian Glen, Arts and Humanities Librarian at Swansea University, who replied speedily to my query about Welsh Women Poets sent to the website askcymru@llgc.org.uk    Mr Glen suggested, among other things, that I consult 'the freely available Welsh Journals Online website http://welshjournals.llgc.org.uk/ may be of use, as it contains the full text of many journals published in Wales.'   This website is extremely interesting and useful.


One of the (several!) books I am currently reading about the First World War is "The Forgotten Front The East African Campaign" by Ross Anderson (Tempus Publishing Ltd., Stroud, Gloucestershire, 2004) and this has widened my search.

I seek WW1 women poets (and/or Inspirational Women) from:

Luxembourg
Siam (now Thailand)
Kenya,
Uganda
The Congo
Ruanda
Burundi
Tanzania
Zambia
Malawi
Mozambique
Nigeria
The West Indies
Palestine
Egypt

The poems do not have to be about the War and the poets do not have to have been famous but they do have to have been able to write poems during the 1914 - 1918 period.

For example, with the kind assistance of the Archivist at Downe House School in Berkshire, I discovered some very good poems written by girls who were at the school during WW1.

As always, if you know of any countries and or poets I have left out, please get in touch.

Lucy